Boom Box GTS alternative

Mojo

Administrator
Dec 6, 2013
For those of you with a 2014-2018 with the Boom box 6.5 there is an inexpensive alternative to the Boom Box GTS and it already has a Apple Carplay system and traffic maps without Harley's expensive WHIM and headset requirement. A complete $568 system below:[h=1]Sony XAV-AX7000 Plug & Play Bundle[/h]https://fatheadcycles.com/collections/harley-davidson-audio/products/sony-7000

Only hic up for me on this system is, no blue tooth ability for Apple Carplay. Must have phone plugged into usb for Carplay.

It’s good to know there is an alternative if/when our BOOMs die..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you going to make the switch Mojo ????

Tom- I just put that out here for informational purposes.
The price and features are awesome compared to HD's however- There are some drawbacks and questions:

A. Is the Sony model waterproof?
B. No access to your HD "Information Screen" to view EITMS, Oil Pressure, etc.
C. Questions on what "Joystick" features are still available.
D. Will it be compatible with the CD module & controls?

Some things to seriously think about with the swap.
The new Boom Box GTS has some concerning issues as well however. WHIM requirement and Harley headset for Carplay. I understand there are some work arounds but realistically for me personally I never listen to music while riding so the only really important feature I want or need is Carplay and traffic maps. I have a new car WITH Carplay and you don't need any extra "options" to make it work.

Im not going to purchase either replacement unit but if I were- the Sony would work well for me due to my limited feature needs. :cool:

Sony XAV-AX7000 .png

Only hic up for me on this system is, no blue tooth ability for Apple Carplay. Must have phone plugged into usb for Carplay.

True- My new Honda Accord has Carplay and it must be plugged in via lightening cable to operate Carplay as well. I believe BT is a coming feature from Apple.

My wife’s new car has the Car Play and there is no doubt it’s the future. I’d love to have that on my SGS. As far as Bluetooth connectivity, yea that would be nice, especially for short trips when you don’t need to be connected to keep a charge going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A little humor: I was stopped at a dealer on a ride recently and 2 guys were going across country on their Ultra's. One had duct taped a Ipad Mini
over his Boombox screen so he could use the Google traffic maps! :eek:

A little humor: I was stopped at a dealer on a ride recently and 2 guys were going across country on their Ultra's. One had duct taped a Ipad Mini
over his Boombox screen so he could use the Google traffic maps! :eek:

What ever works best I guess ha ha ha ha. Have seen that before also. I don't use my GPS very often because of the clumsiness of operation. It will work if you have 1 address to find and that's as far as I go with it. I usually map it out in my head before I go somewhere I have never been before so I have an idea what to watch for. The best part is getting lost and discovering new places.

I have the Sony XAV-AX1000 on my SGS and love the Apple Carplay feature while riding, works just like it does in my Silverado. I've had it on there for 1.5 years.

I wish we had Carplay over Bluetooth as well. Right now, only BMW has that. I was looking into why we all need to cable into the radio and found out why. The need for data transfer rates is huge with carplay. If you think about it, you’d have an imaged map (apple maps, waze, etc), music, phone, etc. There is a lot of data being transferred through the lightening cable. BMW is able to do it because the CarPlay connecting also has WiFi which helps with transfer speeds. I for one don’t mind the cable part. Especially if I don’t need to touch my phone while riding anymore. I have also found the audio quality is much higher when cable connected vs bluetooth. I am still working to figure out what I want to do for my radio. I can’t stand the 2014 boom version. Maps suck and interface is just bad. I’ll likely go the Sony route at some point. The GTS conversion is just too far out of my price range. I love my bike but cannot justify that kind of price for a radio upgrade. HD could make a fortune if they thought this through and made it easier. I’m never upgrading my ride just to get a radio. I’ve sunk way too much money to get my bike just the way I want. I tell every dealer that when I visit and they ask me if I want to trade. No way. I love my 2014 SGS. It’s just the way I want it. Except for the radio. I’ll figure out an alternative.

I wish we had Carplay over Bluetooth as well. Right now, only BMW has that. I was looking into why we all need to cable into the radio and found out why. The need for data transfer rates is huge with carplay. If you think about it, you’d have an imaged map (apple maps, waze, etc), music, phone, etc. There is a lot of data being transferred through the lightening cable. BMW is able to do it because the CarPlay connecting also has WiFi which helps with transfer speeds. I for one don’t mind the cable part. Especially if I don’t need to touch my phone while riding anymore. I have also found the audio quality is much higher when cable connected vs bluetooth. I am still working to figure out what I want to do for my radio. I can’t stand the 2014 boom version. Maps suck and interface is just bad. I’ll likely go the Sony route at some point. The GTS conversion is just too far out of my price range. I love my bike but cannot justify that kind of price for a radio upgrade. HD could make a fortune if they thought this through and made it easier. I’m never upgrading my ride just to get a radio. I’ve sunk way too much money to get my bike just the way I want. I tell every dealer that when I visit and they ask me if I want to trade. No way. I love my 2014 SGS. It’s just the way I want it. Except for the radio. I’ll figure out an alternative.
I’m the same way. Spent to much into getting it the way I wanted. My next upgrade is the seat. Long over due.

as of thanksgiving, Harley has posted that the 2019 GTS radio is a fitment for 2014-2018 bikes. plus they dropped the price somewhat. i have a 2015 SGS, and waiting for my order to come in and have the dealership put it in. looking forward to having carplay on my bike as well as having a system startup faster than my current 6.5 Boom radio.
k

as of thanksgiving, Harley has posted that the 2019 GTS radio is a fitment for 2014-2018 bikes. plus they dropped the price somewhat. i have a 2015 SGS, and waiting for my order to come in and have the dealership put it in. looking forward to having carplay on my bike as well as having a system startup faster than my current 6.5 Boom radio.
k

rkhckp- You do know that "Harley's Carplay" requires their WHIM module and their headset? But I've heard that their is somewhat of a workaround I just don't know what that is. Comments anyone??

rkhckp- You do know that "Harley's Carplay" requires their WHIM module and their headset? But I've heard that their is somewhat of a workaround I just don't know what that is. Comments anyone??

you need to find an 'understanding' stealer.... who will 'flash' the radio to think its got the WHIM present (its a setting)

been trying to get a 2019 SGS done over here, but struggling to find anyone who would do the job (as the local stealers policy is no WHIM, no carplay)

we found one about 1.5hours away so we'll go visit them again in the new year... they just want 20mins shop time to do it

....personally I just want full Android compatibility on my my 2017 special! i've un tethered the phone for now as it wont transfer addresses and tracks properly

Tom- I just put that out here for informational purposes.
The price and features are awesome compared to HD's however- There are some drawbacks and questions:

A. Is the Sony model waterproof?
B. No access to your HD "Information Screen" to view EITMS, Oil Pressure, etc.
C. Questions on what "Joystick" features are still available.
D. Will it be compatible with the CD module & controls?

Some things to seriously think about with the swap.
The new Boom Box GTS has some concerning issues as well however. WHIM requirement and Harley headset for Carplay. I understand there are some work arounds but realistically for me personally I never listen to music while riding so the only really important feature I want or need is Carplay and traffic maps. I have a new car WITH Carplay and you don't need any extra "options" to make it work.

Im not going to purchase either replacement unit but if I were- the Sony would work well for me due to my limited feature needs. :cool:

View attachment 15521

Your new car has a mic that cannot be removed, therefore CarPlay works without extra accessories, once Harley-Davidson develops a vehicle mounted microphone that is both weather proof and can work with no wind / engine background noise issue then i'm sure these will be the new standard and you won't have to purchase a mic seperate. Also, an alternative to the WHIM, you can purchase the wired mic for much cheaper i think around $80 for the mic and 45 for the harness for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith