The Boss seat by Roland Sands (review)

Old Iron Man

Aug 20, 2018
Just picked up this new RSD "Boss" seat made by Mustang for my '18 SGS. A little firmer and narrower than stock, but I wanted that. Squishy stock seat actually gave me sore but & lower back after 30-45 min. So far I feel like I could go much longer on this one. plus, did I mention it looks cool? Changes the whole look of the bike i.m.o. I really like it. Only issue: It sits me back sever inches from stock. I am 5'7" with a 29" inseam. So now bit more reach to the 10" Yaffe bars, and I can use the highway pegs with heels on the floorboards, but can't comfortably reach to put feet directly on them. I like the seat so much though, I'm thinking about new 12" bars.
IMG_5905.jpgIMG_5908.jpg

nice looking bike...nice seat...is that passenger area functional or just for looks? I always like the option to take a lady for an unexpected spin, not a planned ride. Could you rotate the bars a little back towards you to help with reach? I just got a Saddlemen's solo that moves me up an inch an forward some. I'm 5'8" an like a low seat height. I may have to throw a set of lowering blocks on.

nice looking bike...nice seat...is that passenger area functional or just for looks? I always like the option to take a lady for an unexpected spin, not a planned ride. Could you rotate the bars a little back towards you to help with reach? I just got a Saddlemen's solo that moves me up an inch an forward some. I'm 5'8" an like a low seat height. I may have to throw a set of lowering blocks on.
It measures exactly the same as the stock seat from nose to the edge of the driver’s backrest, (18”), so I could not figure out why it felt like I was an inch, to and inch and a half further back. So I took it off and laid it on the ground right next to my stock seat which puts me in perfect, comfortable driving position, and I saw what it was. The stock seat is just thicker padded in that back support area, and it sits more upright, where the Roland Sands pitches back a little more, I’m guessing for the looks.
I’m going to sell my RSD seat and try something else. Perhaps a Corbin Gunfighter, or Corbin Wall, or a Saddleman Stepup, or maybe the Mustang Low Touring. Not sure yet. It will be a spring project. Pm me if you want a deal on a nice RSD seat!

And yes, you can take a lady for a ride on it. just not a really long one. It’s a two up, but really not made for that.

Thank you for the compliment on the bike. I really can’t roll the bars back any more. If I was going to keep that seat, I may switch to 12” bars and then roll back a little. But before I do that whole project, I ordered a Lucky Dave’s seat. It seemed crazy to spend $600 on a seat only a few weeks before the bike goes into winter hibernation, but I want to try it out before I decide whether or not to spend the money on a 2” bar change over the winter. I’ve heard great things about the lucky Dave’s Seat and the seating position. I get it Thursday. Can’t wait.

On your question about taking a lady for a ride on it. You can, but not very far. There’s not a lot to sit on. A backrest might help. I always ride solo. I just like the fastback seat style, and for touring, I can put one bag on my rack, and the other facing forward from the backrest, laying on top of the pillion, and not on my fender.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith