Time for a better long distance seat.

Mar 1, 2016
Looking for comments on the best seat for logging 500 miles a day. Ready to either send my stock seat to Mean Cycles for modification, or buy a Mustang, Saddleman, or ?? Needs to be cushie for the wife as well but she only goes on short trips with me so the focus is on the driver. Thanks for any help !

LePera looks nice. I plan to order a Saddlemen road sofa. Just shopping around for the best price now. $ 801 inc backrest is pricey but if i sell my stock seat, i'll be at an acceptable level of cash bleeding. ;)

Just ordered a Danny Gray seat : [h=1]Airhawk Longhaul 2-Up XL Seat With Drivers Backrest Capability - 21-413DAIR[/h]
Will see how it works !

On my Fatboy I bought a Mustang Diamond Wide Tripper and ended up sending it out to MCC anyways. It caused butt-burn after about an hour. That could also be a combination of seat and bike as well as the Fatboy isn't a touring bike. This time around I'm looking at Corbin (I like the idea of leather), LePera and Danny Gray. I want a solo seat with backrest.

Should have it next week. Rode a couple times last week but i see the forecast is for snow next week............ figures.
As soon as i can get 100 miles plus, i will report back. The Airhawk seat has pumpable air bladders similar to wheelchairs so im excited to test it out on a long ride. My stock seat allows about 1/2 hour of pain free riding. The Mustang seat i had would do 1 hour.

Should have it next week. Rode a couple times last week but i see the forecast is for snow next week............ figures.
As soon as i can get 100 miles plus, i will report back. The Airhawk seat has pumpable air bladders similar to wheelchairs so im excited to test it out on a long ride. My stock seat allows about 1/2 hour of pain free riding. The Mustang seat i had would do 1 hour.

Yeah, my Mustang was about an hour. That's why I sent it off to MCC. Did you try the Harley air-bladder seat?

Just wondered about the "Zepplin" seat by Harley. Have seen some good reviews, but it looks MASSIVE!

Got my seat, looks nice on the bike. Waiting on the weather to test ride. Just sitting on it, it seems a little harder than stock but its 50 degrees in the shop. The backrest i have wont fit the seat so its kind of a bummer. The air pump in the passenger seat is a bit hard to operate but it works. Drivers pump is fine. I can tell my Wife is going to be happier because of the additional width. I will post pics and opinion after i ride the bike.

The thing about seats is everybody is different and we need to put some miles in to get are butts used to them. Had a gel pad installed in my stock seat and can ride it all day or over 1000 miles as I have in the past. Had a mustang seat on my last bike and wasn't sure to start out with but after the 1000 break in period it was wonderful. Good luck and keep us posted on how you like the seat.

I'm embarrassed to tell you how much $$$ I've spent on seats only to have buyer remorse later. Now, for a long ride (300-500 miles), I found comfort with a gel pad over my OEM seat. :cool:

OK, so rode for an hour and 10 minutes straight yesterday. The seat is a little weird, feels like you are sitting on a bubble but im sure i can get used to it. Had the air maxxed out and i will try lower settings as i continue to test it out. I didnt use the backrest and perhaps i no longer need it as the bucket is 2" deeper than stock. Its definitely better than stock since i didnt have any monkey butt symptoms but i will need to test it on a much longer ride. For now im keeping it.

OK, last post on this. 5 hour day trip to the coast for fish n chips. Now have about 400 miles on the seat. At this point i think the seat is better than stock, i got slightly sore after 90 minutes so not bad. Quick 10 minute stops will kinda reset your ass, and give another 90 minutes of pain free riding. Adjusting the air going down the road is EZ and ill need to mess with that to find the perfect setup over time. Im happy with the seat. Hopefully, a 3K trip this summer will be the ultimate judge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77