2014 SGS unit doesnt turn on

fomoco01

Jun 21, 2016
Sorry if this has already been addressed. I didn't find it in a quick search. I have a 2014 SGS and the infotainment Unit sometimes does not turn on. Usually turning bike off and on again 1-3 times I can usually get it back. Very frustrating to say the least. Any ideas?

I've been plagued with Infotainment issues recently. I have a thread on here about it. Currently mine is working correctly while sitting in the garage. Dealer told me that these units are very dependent on battery voltage. I always put mine on the tender if it is sitting. I have not had a chance to see if it will continue to work while riding since it has been cold or raining. Good Luck with it!

Yup a low battery will cause the radio to not start. Had this on my 14, dealt with it for a few months until eventually the bike would barely start as the battery was dying.

I live in a condo. No battery tenders allowed, but I ride daily so it's not like the bike is drained when I crank her up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have one doing exactly the same thing. I've tried everything I can think of. Checked voltage leaving fuses, pulled the main fuse and then replaced it hoping it would boot up, tried to do a reset on the unit, replaced the battery....... it just will not come on at all. Fomoco01, did you ever figure yours out?
Thanks

Mine was very intermittent. The unit always had sound but the display sometimes worked, other times not! Last weekend I got brave and decided to just pull the whole unit out and take it apart to check for loose connections. I could not find anything loose in the unit but decided to remove the faceplate display from the unit. Took it off and sprayed the connection with Electronic Contact Cleaner. Put it back together and it works! Have only put about 50 miles on it since this "fix", but I have turned it on and off about 100 times and it is still working. You have to have a T9 torx screwdriver to get the faceplate off. I cannot say for sure that is the problem, but so far so good! Time will tell........

Thanks, I haven't gotten quite that bold yet! Maybe over the weekend, thanks for your help.

Got in 250 rough interstate miles today and it is still working. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I have had this problem twice now.
A couple months ago I fired up the bike to meet some friends and the screen came up blank gray screen and no audio,nav, nothing. Let the bike sit for about 10 minutes and fire it back up and everything worked fine. No problems since then.
Then yesterday I rode down to meet some guys for a ride. Everything worked fine on the way there. We went in and had breakfast and when we went out to leave, the system wouldn’t boot up at all. The bike starts and everything else works but the infotainment center. So we rode about 45 minutes and stopped at a gas station and let it sit about 5 minutes. Started it back up and everything was back to normal. I had no problems for the rest of the day.
I’ll be talking to the dealer this week. This is totally unacceptable on a $24,000 Motorcycle.

Last edited:
So far I've put about 800 miles, mostly rough Kentucky interstates, on since the "cleaning" and it is still working! I "might" have fixed it! Gotta get more miles in...….

Well I got in about 650 more miles this weekend and it is still working. Looks like this may have fixed this issue! Taking it apart and cleaning the contacts between the display and radio unit sure beats the $650.00 exchange from the stealership!

I may have to try that myself. It surprises me that it could be a connection issue, but these things do get bounced around a lot I suppose.

Reviving an old thread......
My '15 SGS radio is not powering up every time. It will in accessory position, but when starting, it's intermittent.

I've read they are power dependent and suspect this may be my issue. Hoping for confirmation.

Original battery. It has sat long enough to drain the battery a couple times. My winter months vary, but typically 3 - 4 months (late Nov - late Mar).
I know this isn't good on the agm battery. However, when I charge it, it starts fine ... and won't have any other starting issues. Just radio power issues.

I noticed the last couple of rides, the Volt gauge shows about 14.5 when running. I'm assuming that's normal like most cars.... but I'm concerned about the stator or charging system might be under an unnecessary load, if the battery is low, or on it's way out .....

So........ was there ever a concrete answer on what causes this intermittent power up issue to happen? Or am I simply just in need of a new battery?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith