2020 Boom GTS in 2017 CVO

Designflaw

Dec 18, 2013
I suck at searching, been at it an hour. Looking for links to installs, or directions for the swap. I know bits and pieces, but looking for a bit more.

I have a 2020 out of a Roadglide. It probably did not have "The" Flash while it was in the 2020 to allow it to be installed in the pre GTS. I don't know what that flash is.

Is a flash required?
If so, do I have to have it in a GTS bike and then flashed?
If I install it in my 17 and it hasn't have "The" flash, can it be done while in my bike?
Is all of this BS and no flash required except for CVO amp and speaker set up?

Thanks in advance -

Man I need to modify the mods in my Signature lol

Its more than a flash, a flash is for the eq settings from the factory. Its possible it needs to be unlocked to work on your bike. Only way to know is plug it into you bike amd find out. Its a direct swap. If its locked call Carlos at nvs audio in New Jersey, its way cheaper than buying a module. Plus he will unlock and flash the radio at the same time. Check out "nvs audio" on you tube or facebook

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Its more than a flash, a flash is for the eq settings from the factory. Its possible it needs to be unlocked to work on your bike. Only way to know is plug it into you bike amd find out. Its a direct swap. If its locked call Carlos at nvs audio in New Jersey, its way cheaper than buying a module. Plus he will unlock and flash the radio at the same time. Check out "nvs audio" on you tube or facebook

If he is the guy that makes the part so that apple carplay works, I talked to him but not directly about this, but if I needed that part for android auto to work and he was helpful in telling me I did not.

I've also been told that the 2020 has the correct firmware and doesn't need to be unlocked I guess is the term, not "The" Flash lol.

No parts needed, I bought a 19 boom gts and Carlos unlocked, flashed, and updated software so Apple car play and Android auto works. If you truly have a 2020 radio it should not need to be unlocked. You should be able to update software yourself for Android auto and Apple carplay. If you need a flash, it will need to be installed on your bike and taken somewhere they do flashes. Or send it to someone "like nvs" that has harleys in there shop that they can plug it into and flash. And then they can send it back to you. Either way it needs to be plugged into a bike. Make sense?

Appreciated. I'll keep him in mind if it doesn't work. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I suck at searching, been at it an hour. Looking for links to installs, or directions for the swap. I know bits and pieces, but looking for a bit more.
I have a 2020 out of a Roadglide. It probably did not have "The" Flash while it was in the 2020 to allow it to be installed in the pre GTS. I don't know what that flash is.
Is a flash required?
If so, do I have to have it in a GTS bike and then flashed?
If I install it in my 17 and it hasn't have "The" flash, can it be done while in my bike?
Is all of this BS and no flash required except for CVO amp and speaker set up?
Thanks in advance -
Man I need to modify the mods in my Signature lol

Here's my story: I had a Boombox GTS installed in my 2018 last January. Some things I found out:
1. Street Glide and Road Glide units are NOT cross compatible. Mounts are different.
2. My Unit had to be flashed and the digital technician had to check off WHIM box (earlier Firmware). That box is now gone!
3. Later firmware update from HD forces you to purchase the WHIM for Car Play to work.
3b. For those of you with GTS radio-Do not update older firmware or the above will happen.
3c. There is a $25 Jumper plug available that allows you to bypass buying the WHIM for Car Play to work.**
4. If you install yourself, it has to be flashed by dealer to operate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsDetRyqJp4&t=56s

Luckily for me I found all of this (Jan. 20) out before I did any updates! If you take your bike in for service make a note to tell them NOT to automatically update your Boom Box GTS firmware!!!!!!

Mojo - So the radio is not compatible from the RG to my SG or do I just need to get a different mount? I want to use Android Auto, so I've been told no WHIM needed.

Different faceplate trim around screen on radio for streetglide and roadglide.

Check out this video on you tube. I tried to attach a link, but had no luck. Best I could do was a screenshot
673f75bfd1207920b0273a66bdb890c4.jpg

Mojo - So the radio is not compatible from the RG to my SG or do I just need to get a different mount? I want to use Android Auto, so I've been told no WHIM needed.

They are different radio models:
Street Glide-76000829A
Road Glide-76000834A

I was going to give my 2017 Boom Box to a Road Glide friend and Service tech at dealer said they are different and were not interchangeable.

Here's the link that explains:

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw8A4AuPX90

[/URL]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith