Best bang for the buck for a better system?

theBullitt

Dec 12, 2015
'16 SGS here, looking to stay with 2 fairing speakers. Am I better off adding an amp to the factory Boom radio or upgrading the radio to a Sony 7000? I added the HD Boom Stage 1 speakers and didn't see a major improvement with them. I'm just looking for a system that'll sound better on the highway with a FF helmet. Thanks

Check out Soundz bagger audio I'm running their system and very happy with it. Not cheap but warrantee and customer service are second to none with the best sound quality. One of our members is a dealer and I'm sure he will chime in soon and he can answer your questions.

good luck in your choice and let us know what you decide.

I swapped out the Boom system on my 2014 SGS for the Sony XAV-AX7000 recently. If you are looking to make it louder than stock, you would still need an amp IMO. I do like the Sony working with my phone for navigation though.

Last edited:
TomA, after some careful research I'm going to pull the trigger and go with the Soundz Iron 65 Coaxials and their SM4 Amp!

I swapped out the Boom system on my 2014 SGS for the Sony XAV-AX7000 recently. If you are looking to make it louder than stock, you would still need an amp IMO.

I just did that swap out yesterday and am getting to go ride and test it out. What is your impression so far? Have you added an amp? If so, which one? Also, did you get a module to integrate the handlebar controls? My first impression of that aspect is that I don't like it but would love to hear from others on that.

Ride safe.

TomA, after some careful research I'm going to pull the trigger and go with the Soundz Iron 65 Coaxials and their SM4 Amp!

Pretty sure you will be happy. My problem is every time they come out with something new I upgrade and my system just keeps getting better.

Excellent choice! I have carbon 65x4 with the SMP amp. Pete of Soundz Customs is the man!

14 SGS here. Just completed my Sony 7000 install but still have stock Harley speakers in the fairings. I noticed a major difference just in volume and sound quality even in the stock speakers. Of course I’m looking for upgraded speakers no but I highly recommend the Sony especially with tha built in amp.

I just did that swap out yesterday and am getting to go ride and test it out. What is your impression so far? Have you added an amp? If so, which one? Also, did you get a module to integrate the handlebar controls? My first impression of that aspect is that I don't like it but would love to hear from others on that.

Ride safe.

Here's my setup; Sony XAV-AX5000, Soundstream PN4.1000D amp, Biketronics 7.1 BT7P14 Fairing Speakers and 5x7 Speakers in the lids, it's plenty loud even at highway speeds.

I really like this radio and have no plans to upgrade to the 7000, not enough difference for me. The big plus is that it's 100 times better than the stock radio, and has Car Play. I plug in my phone to use the maps, and plug in my iPod (to charge it) and bluetooth it for music. The wiring harness came pre-wired with the hand control module, it really was plug and play. You will lose the Harley function of checking oil/temp/whatever it was, but I can change volume and advance songs, etc.

I took out the insert and my iPhone 7 in an otterbox case and the ipod both fit but it is tight.

I've had this about a year now, rode up to Rolling Thunder in 2019 and rode all over the VA, DC, WV, MD, PA area even in pouring rain and had no issues. I did have a cover on it however, can't remember the name of it but it was the big ugly one which I have since removed in favor of the thinner plastic moulded one that you can use the small magnets with. This one, but it takes a while for him to make them. https://dickyscycle.com/splash-cover/

That's my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith