Fairing vent will not close???

fishin1789

May 28, 2015
Got my bike out to give it a bath earlier today and the fairing vent will not close. As in, stuck open all the time! The button depresses slightly and I can see the vent move a small amount. Anyone else ever had this issue?

When was the last time you had the fairing off ??? I had a little issue with mine let it sit for a week or so and had a mouse try and move in.

Blow the button out w compressed air then lube with silicone spray -worked on mine

Not something so easy on mine! Looks like the button itself took a crap. The fine Chinese plastic is broken and now its another $67 to the stealership.

Did I mention that this will be my last Harley? Tired of inferior parts and no support! Maybe that's why I find myself spending more time on one of the three 41 year old Suzuki GS's that I own than on the Street Glide these days.

Good news! Decided to contact an online dealer and inquire about the broken vent button. They informed me that the "latch" is a common item to break on these vents. It is under the button and actually comes with the button when you order one. But it is also available separately! SO...….for a whopping $4.87 plus shipping I will have a working vent again! Don't you just love it when you have to go online to get decent service from a dealer??? My local stealership told me that the complete button had to be purchased for $67!

Last edited:
Good for you. I never close these vents-they stay open all the time.

Here is a picture of the "latch". It is Harley part #76000127 and is marked latch, media compt. Probably the same latch that is used on the door on the right side of the radio. Changing it out took about 30 minutes, just because the fairing front has to be removed. $4.87 part from Surdyke fixed the vent!
IMG_0253.jpg

Does anyone know if there has been a retrofit part for this latch. This is the third one I have put in. I quit using the compartment because of this latch but every once in an awhile either I forget or someone comes by and pushes it and then it fails again. Would sure be nice if they built a better latch.
thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clive Miller