How to choose cams?

yegg

Sep 18, 2015
So here is my dilemma. I've read numerous posts here and on other forums but something just isn't clicking for me.

I'm seriously considering changing out my cams at the same time I swap my headers and my hydraulic clutch slave cover. The articles I read reference specific riding methods but I'm not able to translate it to my riding style.

I tend to ride in the 3000-4000 rpm (using that as an average for up shifting) range. I mostly ride one up but sometimes do have a passenger. Overall I think I'm happy with gears 3 and up. I would love to see a bit more use out of first and second gears.

I currently have the RSD Clarity air cleaner, CFR slip ons, V&H Dresser Duals (switching to Freedom Performance True Duals), and a V&H FP3 tuner.

I was looking at the S&S kit that has everything for the cam chest. I'm thinking I want the set for torque, not speed.

Of course maybe there is an article I just haven't come across yet. If you know of one that is in plain non technical language, please add the link here for me.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are you switching the v&h dresser duals out? Was thinking about getting some.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Why are you switching the v&h dresser duals out? Was thinking about getting some.

Freedom Performance True Duals.

I eventually want an air ride with an electric center stand so I have to eliminate the cross over under the bike. The FP True Duals has the rear cylinder exiting on the left side of the bike.

The SE-585 cam from H-D works well at low to mid rpm where you are riding. I just put one in my bike.
se-585

If you want a new cam plate and oil pump: se-cam-support-plate-with-high-volume-oil-pump

What else needs to get done with those cams? Tensioners, oil pump, cam plate, cam bearings, lifters, push rods, rocker arms, valve springs?

Can I continue to use the FP3 or do I need to switch to something else?

[quote name="Hlgsn" post=81617]Why are you switching the v&h dresser duals out? Was thinking about getting some.<br />
<br />
Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
Freedom Performance True Duals.<br />
<br />
I eventually want an air ride with an electric center stand so I have to eliminate the cross over under the bike. The FP True Duals has the rear cylinder exiting on the left side of the bike.<br />
<br />
<br />
Well i could hold on to your v&h for ya ......lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
streetglyder