M8 knocks

Trigger55

Jul 19, 2018
My 17 SGS with only 20k miles, the engine started knocking when I pulled into a parking lot. Shut it down and checked the oil with no issue there. Has been well taken care and the extended warranty expired last year. Any known issues with the M8 knocking after XX miles? Not even sure on what to think is going on with it.

Were you able to determine where is was knocking, i.e. cam chest, top end, primary side? How long had you been riding and how hard before you pulled in? Do you know if the oil pump is the original or was it changed for the latest version?

Were you able to determine where is was knocking, i.e. cam chest, top end, primary side? How long had you been riding and how hard before you pulled in? Do you know if the oil pump is the original or was it changed for the latest version?
Sound appears to be coming from the rear cylinder and down low. Only riding about 15 miles on country roads, speed less than 55mph. Oil pump is the original. Have not tried to nail down exactly where the knock is coming from. Only verified there was plenty of oil. Frustration/anger was keeping me from wanting to dive any deeper.

Its a good thing that you decided to step back and calm down instead of ripping it apart.

The only good way that I know of in locating an engine noise is to use a mechanic's stethoscope. Once you have it pinpointed, you'll have a better idea of what to dig into. I know this doesn't help right now, but it's the only way to get to the issue quicker.

Well, the knock was not connected to any problem from the oil pump. It was in good shape but added to the growing replacement list. Rocker arm broke and the head went with it. Still building the list of must replace along with some upgrades.

Reactions: BillyBob
Ouch! Sorry that that happened. A pain in the butt to find every last piece of that busted rocker arm. Might be easier on the wallet to put a 131 in it.

Reactions: BillyBob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067