New Seat - Need Advice

Happy Glider

Mar 13, 2016
Hey gang! A little back story...I bought a Corbin Classic Solo with passenger pillion and driver backrest last summer/fall. The seat arrived and the fit was poor. I sent it back to Corbin for rework, and while I did get the seat back looking much better than before, the customer service was absolutely horrendous, and it took months. I just finally used it for the first time yesterday because it was winter when I got it back!
I really like the feel of the seat, but here's my concern. I'm a small guy - about 5'-6" - and with the stock seat and my riding boots on I could touch the ground flat footed. I've been riding my whole life, so I'm pretty comfortable even if not completely flat footed, but unfortunately, this Corbin might be more than I'm comfortable with - it's not the height, but the width. When I ordered it I spoke at length with Corbin and they recommended that I don't order the shaved seat (narrow), but instead, buy the standard and then have it modified if it's not right for me. Soooo, this is why I gave a little back story. I really don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with Corbin again, and potentially waiting for months for the seat to come back during prime riding season. I've never looked into it, but I think there's a lowering kit for the SG. I don't want to do that, either, because there's already so little suspension travel, and I'm concerned that the handling geometry will be affected.
What do you guys think...ride with the seat for a while to see if it "breaks in" a little? Bite the bullet and send it back? Look into lowering kit? Wear my 70's platform shoes? :cool::cool:

check with mean city cycles see if they can fix the seat for you
their prices are very reasonable and the turn around is not that long
mule

You can always look at air ride which will give you the ability to touch comfortably and have the ride height/ suspension travel you want. Also will give you a better ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a little information on the after market seats. You need to put at least 1000 miles on them to get them broke in to your butt. Had a Mustang seat on my last bike and it took that long and got more comfortable as you rode it and I hear the Corbins are the same way.

Thanks for the feedback...
BirdsOnFIRE - Can you help clarify how air ride will provide a lower ride? Sorry for my ignorance - I understand that air ride allows you to lower the bike, but when actually riding, isn't the height the same as standard? If lowered when riding, won't the travel be extremely limited and affect the ride quality?
TomA - I've thought about this as well. I Think I'm going to call Corbin and ask whether they think the sides will break down enough over time to help narrow the seat.
I really like the seat, and I think it's going to be very comfortable, but am extremely nervous about sending back for modifications and not having the seat for a couple months. Also a little worried whether the narrow seat will affect overall comfort. At least Corbin does the alterations free of charge!

I would ride it if you can and send it back next winter for the mods. It may break in and you won't have to send it back just my thought's. But you always have that choice if you decide you need the mod.

Have fun and good luck

You can adjust the ride height to where you want it. I'm not saying to ride it while slammed but you are able to adjust the height you have it at. I am not the most knowledgeable on this aspect as I only have helped install one and rode it for a short time. Much more knowledgeable people on here

Well, I called Corbin and their recommendation is exactly as TomA suggested. They said to give it at least 1,000-1,500 miles and then decide. So, looks like now I HAVE to go riding…even if I don't want to!

I was in the same boat as you when I bought my SGS. I am 5'7" tall and could not plant my feet flat on the ground. I sent my stock seat out to Mean City Cycles and had them perform the Super Narrow mod for me and the Single Wide mod on the passenger portion. This solved problem for me. I'm sure they can modify your Corbin seat for you to achieve similar results. They do offer an express service which is $100.00 extra. If you opt in for this service, they will work on your seat the same day that they receive it and ship it back the following day. That's what I did. I also bought a Sundowner seat from HD and had them rework that one too. I'm very happy with both of my seats.

Mean City Cycles does a great job and I did that for my 2014. This time I achieved a lower seat by going with the OEM CVO seat.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469