Radios and Rain don't mix. Radio wrap review.

Scott14SG

Oct 20, 2013
Recently I took a Floriduh to Michigan trip on the SG to visit my brother, got caught in a wicked downpour going through Cleveland and into Detroit, it was so bad I just watched the car tail lights in front of me until I saw the exit for a rest stop. So during the ride through the rain I was obviously taking water into the fairing, the radio was turning off/on then finally quit working, check engine light came on and the red security light just stayed on. I figured the radio might be toast but it was safer to keep going that stop on the side of I-75.

When I finally got to my brothers house we pulled the fairing apart and sure enough had water in some of the plugs, so we blew them out and got everything dried off. Turned the bike on and the radio worked, but no hand controls, luckily they were still good after going through the reset procedure hand control reset procedure

I know there's some cheap solutions to do it yourself waterproofing that people have done on Street Glide fairings. But, I wasn't happy with the Metra radio mount for the Sony, it's a cheap plastic mount and as of tonight 2 of the side screws had just fallen out inside the fairing, plus the 2 options for a rain cover aren't that great, I tried both and wasn't happy with either. So to kill 2 birds with one stone I ordered the Biketronics radio wrap kit. Expensive, yes, but I have to say it's 10+ times the Metra kit and I'm pretty sure my radio is as waterproofed as it can get now. Took about 2 hours to pull the radio, install the wrap and put it back together.

The faceplate is milled and anodized aluminum, the mount is also aluminum and both fit perfectly. I wrapped the radio while watching the video on my kitchen island, very easy to do if you take your time. Radio wrap install

If you have the Sony 5000 or 7000 I would recommend doing the wrap if you ride in the rain. I believe they give a 10% veteran discount or if you're a member of the "other" HD forum they give 10%.

Radios and Rain don't mix. Radio wrap review.

I remember on the old radios, I road through so many storms and never had an issue. Jus wonder now if the new ones are as good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think most new radios are advertised only as "water resistant". I don't think I'll ever know if the issue was water in the plugs or the radio unit itself, or both, but I'm quite happy everything still works. That was probably the heaviest storm I've ridden in too. I hated my stock radio with a passion, it was nothing but trouble from day one, and one day I'll take it to the range and video its demise, LOL.

I really had 2 reasons I wanted to get this kit, one for the waterproofing, but also because I thought the plastic Metra bracket wasn't that great, and having 2 screws come out confirmed it for me, it didn't hold up well. I originally held off buying this kit because of the cost, but it gives me a little peace of mind and it's much sturdier.....and my bike fund had enough in it.

The 2 "rain covers" being sold are decent, one is $130 and you have to stick it to the radio mounting face, I thought it was a bit bulky and not very attractive on the bike. The second one I think is $45 and it is similar to the plastic blister pack. For me neither one was neat/clean enough.

If anyone wants them cover shipping cost and they're yours, The Shimmy cover will need new sticky tape on it, the blister pack style one (Dickeys Cycle) has 3 magnets glued on and I'll include the other magnets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith