SunDowner vs Hammock

TacticalZL1

Mar 26, 2017
Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I am looking for some assistance.

I recently moved up to a 2016 Street Glide Special from a 2013 Fat Boy & 2007 Night Train. I am looking for some suggestions on a good seat replacement. Here is the issue I am having. I could spend all day on either Fat Boy or Night train and not have any issues. I spend a few hours on the Street Glide and my lower back is killing me.

So, I've read a lot about the Sun Downer and the Hammock, and I am trying to figure out the best solution.

Anyone have the same issues?

Thanks

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I am looking for some assistance.

I recently moved up to a 2016 Street Glide Special from a 2013 Fat Boy & 2007 Night Train. I am looking for some suggestions on a good seat replacement. Here is the issue I am having. I could spend all day on either Fat Boy or Night train and not have any issues. I spend a few hours on the Street Glide and my lower back is killing me.

So, I've read a lot about the Sun Downer and the Hammock, and I am trying to figure out the best solution.

Anyone have the same issues?

Thanks

Many of us have that question. Besides an aftermarket like a Mustang or a Corbin one alternative is to put an Ultra or a Ultra Low seat on. They can be had for about $100 on eBay or purchas d new from a dealer. Or you could send your seat out to be modified. I went the Ultra route recently for my new SGS. Seems much better.

TacticalZL1,
The 2014-2016 Specials have mechanical shocks which are very firm, your next ride pay particular attention to the "buckin bronco" effect.
The user manual states adjustment starts at 220lbs (for rider). After a 4300 mile trip I choose to replace the manual shocks with Legend Rev-A instead of purchasing a new exhaust, that is how frustrated I was! I can now ride the crappy roads in Fullerton, Ca. without using explicit language. A seat can compliment the ride but not fix the inert problem.
FYI - I was able to sell the stock manual shocks on craigslist.
When you do get a new seat please share your opinion, I would eventually like to customize mine.

TacticalZL1,
The 2014-2016 Specials have mechanical shocks which are very firm, your next ride pay particular attention to the "buckin bronco" effect.
The user manual states adjustment starts at 220lbs (for rider). After a 4300 mile trip I choose to replace the manual shocks with Legend Rev-A instead of purchasing a new exhaust, that is how frustrated I was! I can now ride the crappy roads in Fullerton, Ca. without using explicit language. A seat can compliment the ride but not fix the inert problem.
FYI - I was able to sell the stock manual shocks on craigslist.
When you do get a new seat please share your opinion, I would eventually like to customize mine.
Speaking of the "buckin bronco" effect I believe the Hammock is specifically designed to offset the harsh road.

Speaking of the "buckin bronco" effect I believe the Hammock is specifically designed to offset the harsh road.

The bumps and stuff dont bother me all that much, but the sore back is just killing me. If I can't find a solution to help with this. I'll end up selling and going back.

The bumps and stuff dont bother me all that much, but the sore back is just killing me. If I can't find a solution to help with this. I'll end up selling and going back.

I'm sure if you look hard enough you will find a solution. The Mustangs have great back support and you can always get a driver backrest. Sounds like you need a nice deep bucket.

The issue with touring bikes is the way it sits you in the seat.
I have lower back pains when riding. I have the sundowner on my 08, I am looking at doing gel insert soon. But the biggest thing to do is get a rider backrest, this helps a lot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried 3 Harley seats to find the Ultra seat the most comfy but sits me higher than I like. The biggest difference came when I tried the driver back rest. I would have never thought it would have made the difference it did. I come to find out the way I was slouching in the seat was what was causing the discomfort. Back rest took care of that problem and now ride for hours. And here in Az hours is on the menu quite often with the nice weather.

Anyone have the Corbin or Mustang to chime in on model and fit?

This topic comes up frequently. Do a forum search in Seats and back rests and you will come up with previous posts that provide all the information you need concerning HD and aftermarket seats.
That said, I love my Mustang Summit seat which is made specifically for HD Baggers 2014 - 2017. I posted a review a couple of weeks ago with pictures.

Blues

I have tried 3 Harley seats to find the Ultra seat the most comfy but sits me higher than I like. The biggest difference came when I tried the driver back rest. I would have never thought it would have made the difference it did. I come to find out the way I was slouching in the seat was what was causing the discomfort. Back rest took care of that problem and now ride for hours. And here in Az hours is on the menu quite often with the nice weather.

Yes the Ultra did raise me a bit but it also brought me slightly closer to the bars which was a plus for me also. VERY comfortable seat. And the wife will love it if she ever comes on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469