Trip report- reno run

Spazz

Administrator
Feb 22, 2014
Trip Report:

4 May 2017

TomA arrives early in Reno from Battle Mountain, NV … Had to get some work done on his 14SGS at Battle Born HD.

5 May 2017

TomA and Spazz meet up at BJ’s BBQ for breakfast....Kevin meets Tom and I at my house and then Mojo arrives. TomA and Kevin Rode to Battle Born HD while Mojo and I caged it with a trailer to get the rentals….2017 Road Glide for Chad and 2017 Street Glide for Mojo. Bikes were staged in my garage for Saturday adventure.

Flights for Chad and CWNY (Chris ) were delayed and Chris had to cancel ( SUCKS )
Chad arrived at 9:30pm into Reno--- TomA, Mojo and I met him and I got him settled in at my place.

6 May 2017

Weather wad promising for the first half of the day, so , TomA, Mojo, Chad, Kevin and I left my house at 0745 to meet BaggerJay in Truckee, CA for breakfast at JAX AT THE TRACKS…. But we got up there quicker than we thought and took a ride to the lookout on Donner Pass Rd above Donner Lake before heading to the restaurant and meeting up with Baggerjay at 0910. GREAT FOOD!!!!

20170506_084400.jpg

Chad had NEVER been here and was just in AWE…. He was trying to soak it all in…..we went from beautiful mountain roads with greenery everywhere… then… rounded the switchback to snow covered mountains and snowpacks on the side of the road in excess of 10-12ft tall to the top of Donner Pass. I can tell he was having the time of his life! HE NEEDED THIS!

20170506_084428.jpg

Since the weather was iffy, we decided to shoot from hip on the route…. It started to rain while eating. Baggerjay was kind enough to ride 2+ hours for breakfast and I ( we ) didn’t feel the weather would hold for him to continue on the route around Lake Tahoe, so he headed home ( good thing!) He made it home soggy as a wet noodle.

We dawned our rainsuits…. Since the weather didn’t look too good, Kevin decided to solo ride back to my place and pick up Mojo’s rental car and meet us in Battle Born to turn the bikes back in… THANK YOU KEVIN! At this point we still have 3+ hours of riding get back to Carson City via the route I planned out. Rain or Shine…. We were pushing through it!

Mojo, TomA, Chad and myself left JAX and headed down HWY 89 to the north side of Lake Tahoe… the rain let up about 45 minutes to an hour later and roads were again dry. We rode the north side of the lake through King’s Beach, Crystal Cove up and over and back down into Incline Village nice and dry.

received_1525498027483454.jpeg

At this point, I surveyed the the skies and pulled over…. Looked like is was a good time ( dry and clear ) to make the trek from Incline Village using Mt Rose Hwy…. Lots of twisties and beautiful scenery. So we ran Mt Rose Hwy to another lookout and photo Op. and continued through a few flurries of snow, but nothing major. Roads were clear and dry with the exception of some snow melting runoffs across the road in a few areas which I knew would be there and slowed the pack for safe crossings

At the Bottom of Mt Rose Hwy, we stopped at gas station to once again assess the weather… Mojo wanted Chad to experience Virginia City and Geiger Grade ( the road leading to VC )… since we did it the day prior, Mojo pealed off and headed south to Carson City to meet up with Kevin at Battle Born HD and TomA and I took Chad over Gieger Grade to Virginia City. TomA and I are VERY familiar with the tight twisties that LOVE to wear our floorboards down more and more each trip… LOL!!! Chad pulled up the rear, takin in all the scenery and beautiful mountain twisties.
We made it to Virginia City and stopped at The RED DOG SALOON and walked around a bit showing Chad some historic sites of Virginia City…. Delta Saloon and the SUDICIDE TABLE from 1875, Bucket of Blood Saloon… etc…. GREAT TIMES!!!

reddog.jpg

Once we left VC, the skies opened up and started to dump… and DUMP HARD! We had another 20+ miles coming out of VC down some switchbacks that we took with severe caution with all the standing water and rain. We finally made it to Battle Born HD, met up with Mojo and Kevin, turned in the rentals since there was NO CHANCE of the rain letting up. Thawed out a bit and had some coffie and did a little shopping.

Mojo, Chad and Kevin were gonna be dry the rest of the trip…. TomA and I? NOPE!!!! 45 miles back to my house in a steady downpour… Mojo road our coattails north the entire way back, for protection, if needed. Saw two pretty good accidents in that short trip to my house which was lucky for us that we weren’t caught up in for too long or involved in… it was a BAD RAIN, standing water and visibility was cut way down…. But we made it back to my place safe and sound.

TomA and I changed out of our DRENCHED attire and then we made some coffee and relaxed at my place for the rest of the afternoon and evening. Mojo sprang for pizza to fill our hungry guts… THANK YOU!

7 May 2017

Mojo and I Took Chad to the airport at 0545 for his departing flight at 0700. We both knew at that point that this weekend was what Chad needed… we could tell he did NOT want to leave.

Even for the weather, we had an EPIC TIME! We got to get in some great riding time, spent time with old friends, some met for the first time and new friendships were made that will last a liftetime… PRICELESS!

I wanted to thank everyone for showing up…

KEVSBIGRED
BAGGERJAY
MOJO
TOMA
CHADERICK

I truly enjoy the friendships and brotherhood we share among us. It will last a lifetime!

Guys….. please add your pics and comments as you see fit…. This won’t be the last time it happens… we ALL KNOW THIS!!!!

Your EXACTLY right Spazz, I didn't want to leave. I haven't had a get away vacation for many many years and this was my first time traveling to Nevada and Cali and being on a new 2017 bagger and riding with some of the coolest guys I'll ever know made it even better.

The fact that these guys had never met me before (in person) and treated me like family is something that I'll NEVER forget.
A man can go a lifetime and not meet a group of better guys than I did this weekend. I know I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more....THANK YOU, SPAZZ, MOJO, TOMA, KEV, BAGGERJAY... I'll see you again
def9c48ac76289aa44a6ba339d9364eb.jpg
d6e9be1aa2e90dd6a33a2275b0a9dd45.jpg
ad9d5ac1ca7ecae3749dcd823a713775.jpg
b09ce9835f836c6b0dbfbe9c591f458c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

When I read all that, it sounds like more effort, fuss, and work than, well- the work you guys had to get off to go do this adventure. In the end though, it sounds like it was worth it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great synopses Spazz. A little rain didn't bother us as we were prepped for anything. The camaraderie and the scenery made up for the weather. We dried out, laughed, drank and ate Saturday afternoon and just had a blast.
This forum has allowed many of us to take that leap, reach out and enjoy what these machines offer to the fullest. As soon as I can I'll post a few more pics. Chris- sorry about your flights but you are welcome to our next big adventure which we have already started planning for 2018. EVERYONE on this forum will be invited!
HD Park Wrong MC copy.jpg

A few more pics hopefully to entice more forum members next time.
When I arrived Friday and we picked up the bikes, we took the scenic route
over to Virginia City . . . . . IMG_1.PNG

On Saturday after we got Chad squared away Friday nite, we took the high road
(in altitude) up to Truckee. Picuted are Spazz, TomA, Chaderick and Mojo.
IMG_3.PNGIMG_4.JPG

As Spazz indicated we got to Truckee early enough to make a run
up to the overlook of Donner Lake. We parked the bikes and just stood in awe
for a bit.
IMG_5.JPG

Continued . . . .

Attachments

• IMG_2.JPG
    IMG_2.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 0
A bit later we met up with Bagger Jay and had one of the best breakfast's
I've ever had. Meanwhile the train blew by a scant 40 yards away.
IMG_6.PNGIMG_7.JPG

Your EXACTLY right Spazz, I didn't want to leave. I haven't had a get away vacation for many many years and this was my first time traveling to Nevada and Cali and being on a new 2017 bagger and riding with some of the coolest guys I'll ever know made it even better.

The fact that these guys had never met me before (in person) and treated me like family is something that I'll NEVER forget.
A man can go a lifetime and not meet a group of better guys than I did this weekend. I know I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more....THANK YOU, SPAZZ, MOJO, TOMA, KEV, BAGGERJAY... I'll see you again
def9c48ac76289aa44a6ba339d9364eb.jpg
d6e9be1aa2e90dd6a33a2275b0a9dd45.jpg
ad9d5ac1ca7ecae3749dcd823a713775.jpg
b09ce9835f836c6b0dbfbe9c591f458c.jpg

I look forward to it Chad. Next time your on this side I'll make sure you get some sweet tea. It would be great to run you through our Sierra Nevada mountain range.

I look forward to it Chad. Next time your on this side I'll make sure you get some sweet tea. It would be great to run you through our Sierra Nevada mountain range.
That's the only complaint of the entire trip. I didn't mind the weather, the scenery, twisties, and great friendships made up for not getting a glass of sweet tea for breakfast.. Haha

Heh heh, at JAX at the tracks for breakfast and Chad asked for "sweet tea". We all broke out in a laugh!!

Recipe for sweet tea:
1 20 oz glass
2 oz of freshly brewed tea
3 lb of granulated sugar

That was classic!!!!

And yeah I think he did put about that much sugar in that glass!!!!

Had a blast this last weekend. Meeting some new friends and making friendships to last a long time!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got a chance to sit down and check this out. Good job on the write up Spazz and thanks for adding more Mojo. This was a really fun time and meeting up with new and old friends. Funny how you get around like minded people and it's like we have known each other for last 20 years and yes there was lots of ribbing and fun had by all. Have met up with several people off this forum and a couple others making friends and connections across the states the last couple of years. This was a very fun trip and I would do it again next week if we could get a couple people together to ride. The weather really wasn't that bad a little cold up around Donner and Tahoe but if you dress right it's all good. Last half hour was the worst but it was only me and Spazz that got totally soaked. Still had water running out of places on the bike and some of my gear on Sunday for my ride home. Probably didn't help I ran into thunder showers about halfway home LOL. So until we meet up again everybody ride safe and have fun with your adventures. Not sure why but we missed a close up of Kevin but ??? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

That was classic!!!!

And yeah I think he did put about that much sugar in that glass!!!!

Had a blast this last weekend. Meeting some new friends and making friendships to last a long time!!!

Kevin get a new tire on that bike and Spazz,you,and myself have no excuses to get together in the Sierra Nevada's and do some riding.

Jay

Kevin get a new tire on that bike and Spazz,you,and myself have no excuses to get together in the Sierra Nevada's and do some riding.

Jay
I'm down with that! I KNOW Tom would be all over this as well..

Grass Valley, Sierraville,Nevada City, Quincy. ..etc...

Let's do this!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Yes count me in if I can get away from work I will be there for sure. Should probably send you my schedule and get something planned soon.

Maybe sneak in a ride over highway 20 to the coast but that might be an over night thing but sure would be a blast.

Last edited:
Yes!!!!!! This would be awesome!!!!!

But once I get my new tires on of course!!!!

Yes count me in if I can get away from work I will be there for sure. Should probably send you my schedule and get something planned soon.

Maybe sneak in a ride over highway 20 to the coast but that might be an over night thing but sure would be a blast.

Tom you can't come cuz your darn stereo is too loud and I won't be able to hear my bike. Lol just kidding you can come too.

Tom you can't come cuz your darn stereo is too loud and I won't be able to hear my bike. Lol just kidding you can come too.
Ummm... jus so ya know.... my NEW SYSTEM will be here next week...

I DON'T WASTE TIME!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Geez Todd!!!' You really
Couldn't stand to be outdone could you!!

You doing All 6??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469