Just got a reduced reach seat for my 14 SGS.... LOVE IT!!!

Spazz

Administrator
Feb 22, 2014
And... so does my wife! This reduced reach seat moved me 1/2" lower and 1/2" forward with a HUGE upgrade to the passenger pillion at 15" wide for $329.

Went to do a demo of a few seats with my bride to test. I just wanted firm feet on the ground when static instead of the balls of my feet. This is a perfect setup for me. 1/2" doesn't seem like much but the cut of the seat also brings your legs closer into the sled which makes all the difference in footing.

Now it did feel a bit 'different' being moved a bit more forward when riding... that's for sure...but the 1/2" did make a very noticeable difference. I think I could safely run hwy pegs now.... may even be better for me this way.

Another thing I noticed is now when I back up, my calves are not always bumping the passenger pegs... they still do, but not as if they are in the way....

If you are thinking of a new seat... go demo some... I am VERY happy I did this..

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/reduced-reach-seat-pa-16-5261908a--1

I will take a pic of mine later... but for now...

52619-08A_OB

Good for you Spazz! The demo program HD has is a smart idea. My dealer has a special area in the showroom to try out seats and windshields. When I had my Road King I used it to find a windshield I liked

seems like I almost need hwy pegs now.. lol!!! more money... sigh....

Spazz
Since you own a Harley, when referring to accessories for it replace the letter "S" with "$" !

Good point....

I have learned....

The cheapest part of owning a Harley is BUYING IT!!!! LOL!!!

That's so true! (but its fun!)
My next door neighbor asked me once; "how did you talk your wife into letting you get a MC?" I said; "I told her it was either the Harley or a 35 year old red headed divorcee." She told me the Harley would be much cheaper!!

Need a driver backrest. Looking at the infinitely adjustable unit at HD with remote adjuster. Any suggestions? Any one install one of these? The instructions are scary for me.

Need a driver backrest. Looking at the infinitely adjustable unit at HD with remote adjuster. Any suggestions? Any one install one of these? The instructions are scary for me.

I haven't looked into one of these yet.... not sure on the details of the install....

Looks comfortable Spazz,
I'm 5'6" and it looks like that would be a good choice for me too. I planned on getting the detachable tour pack but not for a year or more just cant depart with the cash after buying the bike. I'll have to check the compatibility with the tour pack and it may be my next purchase.

Thanks Spazz, I need to buy another seat too for when the wife rides and I had been thinking of this one. I am 5' 9 and don't need the lower part but a half inch closer might be good... more like the Road King I had. Thanks for your review... wonder if I can find one on ebay and save a 100$?

No problem guys.... I must say this.... the aesthetics are NOT there unless you run this seat with the passenger backrest on ... I don't like the looks of the seat alone.... does nothing for the look of the sled. I use it only when 2 up.... call me vain... lol!!!!

I agree Spazz , I am running the drag speacialties 1 inch lower 2 inch forward and the passenger area is huge on this seat, I love the feel and fit of the seat but do not like to appearance of it.I am gonna get the solo seat from drag speacilties the ssame one but a solo.DSC_0067.jpg

Spazz, I purchased the reduced reach and agree "the aesthetics are NOT there". So I kept it for 2 up and sent the factory seat to MeanCity cycles for adjustment. They lowered and narrowed the seat for $135. Best money I have spent so far. Narrowing helped more than anything so my thighs don't feel all streched out. I can actually walk without that bow legged look when I get off my ride.
For all of you that need that lowered seat, or raised if you are tall, I would spend my money having the seat adjusted than purchasing a new seat. Check out their website.

Spazz.
Could you please tell us your height?
Did your wife approved the new seat after a long trip?
I´m 5'6" and intending to replace the stock seat, in order to obtain more comfort for my wife.
Any other suggestions fellows?
Thanks!

I am 5'7"...
My wife TOLD me to buy the new seat AFTER she sat on it and felt like a couch beneath her. 1000% more comfortable for her and I get my feet flat on the ground now at stops.

Here is the new reduced reach on the left and stock on the right. Notice the size difference in the passenger area

y4eqajup.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!What a change!
It helps me a lot, Spazz.
There are no dealer near home to try out seats or other accessories before buy.

Wow!What a change!
It helps me a lot, Spazz.
There are no dealer near home to try out seats or other accessories before buy.

Not a problem my friend!

If you look closely... you can see that the new seat moves you forward about 1/2". (look at the distance between the slits for the driver backrest to where it drops into the driver seat)

So not only are you lowered, you are moved forward a bit as well. This makes it much easier for me to use hwy pegs on long trips as my knees are bent slightly more than with the stock seat.

This seat is from HD and was around $350 after tax... $329 in the book. If you want the exact part number, let me know.

ah... so I did... in the first post....

you're welcome... anytime!

Did this seat give you more room between you and your wife as well? , when i ride with my wife i can't lean back like i would like to and what I've gotten used to riding solo.

Sent from my XT555C using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469