$25 Bike Mic- HOW TO MAKE IT WORK!

Bought the same mic from EBay (12.99)
Picked up a jack at Radio Shack for $1.00

Pulled the fairing apart and did a test with alligator clips, had it working in under 15 mins!

Drilled and dremeled the fairing (hopefully low enough to install the Iron Aces cell phone mount later)
Soldered and heat shrinked the wire.
Put it all back together without a hitch.
20170220_201649_resized.jpg
The whole thing was less than an hour, and it works pretty damn good.

You may be a genius Spazz!

Bought the same mic from EBay (12.99)
Picked up a jack at Radio Shack for $1.00

Pulled the fairing apart and did a test with alligator clips, had it working in under 15 mins!

Drilled and dremeled the fairing (hopefully low enough to install the Iron Aces cell phone mount later)
Soldered and heat shrinked the wire.
Put it all back together without a hitch.
View attachment 12090
The whole thing was less than an hour, and it works pretty damn good.

You may be a genius Spazz!
Glad to help out!

Sent from Note4 via TapaTalk

Wanted to say thank you to Spazz for starting this thread and providing the instruction. And to ElMattador for your recent pictures.

Going to do this to my '15 SG this weekend. Anyone else wanting to do, there may not be a better time! I got the mic on eBay for $10.02 shipped from THIS seller.

The remaining RadioShack locations in my area are closing so everything was half off. The jacks (part number 2740249) were only $1.74 for a pair.

Thanks again guys!

This looks like an awesome mod and should solve the biggest frustration I've had with my 2017 SGS.

Just did this mod tonight on my 2017 SGS. A couple of observations. First, the mic would not fit in the center under the ledge at the top of the screen. Its not accessible from the rear. I put it on the blank left panel opposite the flip up door where the USB is, close to the top and centered. Works perfect! Took a test call on the way home and they said the volume was low, but NO wind sound. I wonder if there's a way to turn up the gain and make it louder. Second, I heard a few pops in the speaker during the conversation. Anyone else get this? It was only a 5 min ride home so I will need to experiment a bit. GREAT MOD!

Doing this mod with the Olympus mic Plan to just place it in the little glove box so i can just open it to get a phone call.
If you do that... still use a 3.5mm jack to use the mic extension...if you want... not a bad idea.

Where I have mine mounted above the head unit works, but I could still use the extension to run it to the lapel clip if I wanted to

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So got it hooked up today. Only sounds normal to the person on the other end when the mike is about 3 or 4 inched from your mouth. A little too quiet for them otherwise. That happens to be the suggested distance in the ME52 instructions. I will mount a separate jack and use the supplied lapel clamp when using the phone while moving. I will also try to demo some other more sensitive mic's to see if one will be hassle free to use.

Recently added the 7-pin DIN kit to my '16 Streetglide. Will this work on those occasions when I don't plug in my headset? (Most likely would have to unplug the noise-canceling mic if I do use the headset ... mics would probably fight with each for attention).
Haven't hooked it up, but as previous post mentioned, ME52 should be placed 2-3 inches from mouth, so how is possible to pick up voice when mounted on inner fairing, especially when moving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recently added the 7-pin DIN kit to my '16 Streetglide. Will this work on those occasions when I don't plug in my headset? (Most likely would have to unplug the noise-canceling mic if I do use the headset ... mics would probably fight with each for attention).
Haven't hooked it up, but as previous post mentioned, ME52 should be placed 2-3 inches from mouth, so how is possible to pick up voice when mounted on inner fairing, especially when moving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Mic pics up fine... mounted just above the HU and center (RGS NOT SGS))...no background noise on the other end from what I'm told. I don't use it that often... but when I do, it's worth $20

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Great mod. I just ordered all the parts to do this to My 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special. I know this is an old thread are you still around if I have any questions? Sorry new to this forum thing not really sure how it works. The Jack I purchased does have three tabs coming from it not sure which one is positive and negative, any hints?

Great mod. I just ordered all the parts to do this to My 2017 Harley Davidson Street Glide Special. I know this is an old thread are you still around if I have any questions? Sorry new to this forum thing not really sure how it works. The Jack I purchased does have three tabs coming from it not sure which one is positive and negative, any hints?

Yep.. still around... LOL!!! Been quite busy as of late.... most likely its the two opposite tabs... temp wire it up to ensure proper operation before soldering... i used alligator clips to test mine. still works great.

Hi guys...if mic is wired into system, what is the 3.5 Jack for.? thx, Ron

There is NO MIC on the SG/SGS from the factory..... you have a PTT button that only works if you buy the communication kit from HD and you are WIRED to your helmet via the comport on the tank dash.

This 3.5mm jack is wired into the P&A Audio connector under the faring that allows you to plug in a 3.5mm lapel noise-cancelling mic direct. HD wants close to $400... this gets you working for $20.... choice is yours

On Star Mic

On Star Mic

If I'm using the On Star Mic, do I have to put a certain wire to the positive and to the negative ?

Hey Spazz. You are the man. It worked perfectly. Thank you so much for all your info. So happy to have what it should have came with in the first place. Oh well, problem solved thanks to your ingenuity.

Updated the dead the Photobucket pic links..... all pics on first and second post should work now....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith